Our largest and most far-reaching project, Smiles for Kids® (SFK) (originally founded in 1991 by Dr. Gerard Ortner and Dr. Don Rollofson) was adopted and expanded by the Foundation in 2003. It partners member dentists with local schools to screen and provide dental education to thousands of children each year. From the screenings, underinsured and underserved children are treated by member dentists and their teams on SFK Day each February. More than half of those children are then “adopted” for further pro bono treatment – including specialty and orthodontic treatment. Each year, a thousands of dollars in pro bono treatment is provided to children in the five county SDDS area. Smiles for Kids is making great strides toward reversing the disheartening statistics that plague the children of our community.
Since 1991, Smiles for Kids has:
- Served more than 450,000 children
- Treated 17,000 children
- Provided more than $14 million in free dental services to thousands of children
- Provided over 1,200 children with pro bono orthodontic treatment
Support Smiles for Kids
This program serves as much more than simply a means for providing treatment—it draws awareness to the issues of poor oral health and access to care, and it fosters outreach, education, and partnership within our community to take responsibility for this problem and help improve it! Through Smiles for Kids, we can make a difference and give the children of our community what they truly deserve—a smile to last a lifetime.
Thank you to our Smiles for Kids
Grantors & Donors!
- United Concordia Dental
- Sutter Health
- Sacramento Region Community Foundation
- Pierre Fauchard
- Blue Northern Builders
- CSUS Pre-Dental Club – Project Backpack
- Nancy Solomon, Henry Schein Dental
- Patterson Dental Supply
Puppet Show Sponsor
How You Can Help:
- Become a Smiles for Kids Sponsor or Volunteer
- Make a Monetary Contribution
- Make a Supply Donation
- Donate your time as a site volunteer for Smiles for Kids Day!